You will need to provide evidence for knowledge base; which requires:
- completion of the e-learning for healthcare modules as outlined in appendix A, with an accompanying statement from their lead trainer that they have acquired the knowledge base for certification or,
- completion of the HEE clinical endoscopist taught course for the procedure or,
- completion of the appropriate endoscopy specific M.Sc. course required to complete training as a clinical endoscopist.
In addition, you will need to meet the models/simulation criteria which requires:
- evidence of either completion of model or simulator work, supported by a statement from their trainer that this has been completed or,
- if they have completed a minimum of 100 procedures, a statement from their trainer that such experience is unlikely to significantly support the development of further skills.
Once you have met these criteria, you will then need to complete six summative DOPS (rather than the standard number of four).
The two additional DOPS should be carried out with two observers who;
- have not been significantly involved with the learner’s training.
- both of whom should have attended a train the trainer’s course.
- one of whom must be an active member of faculty in the appropriate JAG approved basic skills course (defined as having been a faculty member in the last three years).
These additional DOPS can still take place with trainers internal to the employing organisation, or could take place as part of a planned training list either at the host employer, or at a regional training centre.
Where Regional Training Centre faculty are not available, the additional DOPS should be carried out with an assessor who has not been significantly involved* with the individual’s training and agreed with the unit training lead, who will continue to have final authority to sign off an application for certification.
Once these DOPS are completed, please apply for certification via JETS.
* has not been the supervisor for more than 25% of training procedures carried out.