Yes it is appropriate for services to send oral bowel preparations and enemas in the post. There must be a standard operating procedure/policy in place supporting documentation that demonstrates that:
- assessment of the patient for suitability to receive the medicine has been made
- the medicine has been prescribed by an appropriate person
- the patient details have been checked and double checked to ensure that the medicine is sent to the correct person
- the packaging used contains the medicine safely and securely
- the medicine is sent with full instruction and information on how to take it including what to do and who to contact if there is an adverse event
- the individual(s) responsible for administering the medicine (that is, packaging and sending) has received appropriate training to undertake the checks as highlighted above
- the organisations chief pharmacist has agreed to the SOP/policy.